- President Donald Trump on Thursday took executive action to get around obstacles to including a citizenship question on the 2020 census.
- The executive order will require federal departments and agencies to give information on citizenship and noncitizenship to the Commerce Department.
- As a result, there will not be a citizenship question on the 2020 census, as the administration will attempt to collect that data through other means.
- Previously, the Supreme Court decided the administration had not properly justified their reasoning for adding the question.
- Citizenship questions have been on the census under past administrations in other capacities, such as long-form questionnaires.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
WASHINGTON — Pr